There’s no doubt about it – the language gap between English and Spanish speaking employees can have a negative impact on teamwork and productivity. And when teamwork and productivity suffer, ultimately customer satisfaction and profitability do as well. There are many benefits of training your team in everyday Spanish and English phrases, but taking that first step is often the hardest. An easy way to get started is to learn simple everyday Spanish phrases. As a manager, taking online Spanish classes lets your Spanish-speaking employees know you’re interested in meeting them halfway. Encourage your English-speaking employees to do the same. When native Spanish speakers see you making that effort, they’ll see language training as less intimidating for themselves.
Everyday Spanish Cheat Sheet
Here are a few phrases to get you started, and check out our Free Language Library for downloadable cheat sheets in Spanish and many other languages.
- Please – Por favor (pohr / fah-vohr)
- Thank you – Gracias (grah-see-ahs)
- You’re welcome – De nada (day / nah-dah)
- How do you say _____ ? ¿Cómo se dice______? (koh-moh / say / dee-say)
- Repeat – Repita (ray-pee-tah)
- Everybody – Todos (toh-dohs)
- Together – Juntos (whoon-tohs)
Benefits of Language Training
- Improved performance.
- Increased productivity.
- More cohesive teams.
- Improved employee morale.
- Reduced turnover.