Learning a new language can be intimidating, and for good reason – it’s a tough job! Fortunately, though, it doesn’t have to be as big of a challenge or as time consuming as you think. We’ve talked before about focusing on the practical application of a language in your workplace. This is particularly effective to help you communicate key ideas related to your industry. If you’re looking for a higher level of fluency, though, and you want it quickly, immersion language training is the way to go.
What is Language Immersion?
When you go through immersion language training, you completely immerse yourself in the language you’re learning. With a Spanish language immersion program, for example, you would likely go to a Spanish-speaking country and study the culture and language using Spanish only. Not only is this easier than you might think, it’s also extremely effective.
Why It Works
Multiple studies have shown that immersion language training is the most effective way to learn a new language. Here’s why:
- Language immersion works because it’s typically done in a short period of time. There’s no break between “lessons” because your entire experience is thousands of lessons one right after another.
- Repetition, repetition, repetition. Immersion language forces you to implement newly learned language skills again and again in practical ways.
- Learning a language by being constantly exposed to it is how we naturally learn to communicate. Babies learn whatever language – or languages – they hear. The same can be true for adults.
- When immersed in a language and a culture, people are intrinsically more motivated to learn. Students’ natural tendencies to want to solve problems and fit in become stronger than the language barriers they’re facing.
- Appreciation for the culture of the second language really does matter. The best immersion language programs aren’t just about words. They also help the learner understand the significance of language and pick up on the nuances of non-verbal cues.
Immersion language training is a great solution for executives or anyone who wants to learn a language without committing months (or years!) to it. The best way to learn anything is to completely immerse yourself in it. It’s like the expression goes – the quickest way to learn how to swim is to jump in the deep end!